It is almost daily morning that I go to mom and ask, “Mummy, what should we prepare for lunch today”. It is one of the toughest questions for us (wink) and both of us try to pass it on to the other one! Irony is how many dishes we may know, we get bored of a dish if it is prepared often. Gobhi Aloo is one of my favorites during winters but even I got bored of it this winter. I only had Cauliflower in my refrigerator the other day and I didn’t want to make the usual Aloo Gobhi. I was looking in for some other option and I noticed Methi leaves(fenugreek leaves) peeping out from a bag(smiles). Thought of trying a different combo – Aloo (potato), Gobhi (cauliflower), Methi (fenugreek) and Tomato.
It turned out quite tasty and I have added it to my day to day vegetable recipes. Adding methi leaves to the traditional recipe added taste, aroma and nutritional value as well.
Health Benefits of Fenugreek Leaves
Fenugreek leaves are rich in minerals like calcium, potassium and iron. Good source of vitamin C, K and dietary fiber. Fresh leaves comprise 3 to 5% protein.
- Provides effective relief from menstrual pain, lowers arthritis conditions, provides relief from bronchitis, provides relief from asthma and improves digestive function, helps improve lactation in nursing mothers.
- Fenugreek leaves and seeds comprise wonderful phytosterols or phytochemicals that regulate blood glucose levels thereby prevent diabetes of both types, and regulate cholesterol levels, reduces LDL Cholesterol, lowers triglycerides thus improving cardiovascular and heart health and controls hypertension
- Cauliflower (Phool Gobhi) 1/2 kg
- Chopped Potatos (Aloo) 2 medium size
- Chopped Tomato 2 medium size
- Fenugreek leaves(methi patta) 1 cup
- Red chilly powder 1/2 spoon
- Coriander Powder 1 1/2 spoon
- Turmeric powder 1/4 spoon
- Dry Mango Powder 1/2 spoon
- Mustard Oil 1 table spoon
- Asafoetida (Hing) a pinch
- Ginger (finely chopped) 1 inch piece
- Heat oil in a deep curved pan (kadai).
- Add ginger and let it fry for a few seconds.
- Add asafoetida and immediately add cauliflower and potato pieces.
- Mix well, keep on medium flame and keep mixing every 2-3 minutes.
- Once potato and cauliflower look slightly fried, add salt and turmeric powder. Mix well and cover the vessel with a lid.
- Keep mixing every 3-4 minutes.
- Once the potato and cauliflower are soft enough, add fenugreek leaves and after mixing cover with lid for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped tomato and stir on high flame for 1-2 minutes. Cover with lid for 2-3 minutes.
- Add red chilly powder, coriander powder and dry mango powder. Mix well and remove from stove.
Tasty and healthy “Äloo Gobhi Methi” is ready to be served for lunch Honey!
Tip : Try adding fenugreek leaves to all those vegetables to which you add coriander leaves for flavor. You would get an entirely different flavor from the traditional one and you never know it may turn out to be better than the original recipe like it happened for me! (smiles)