I mentioned about Appo in one of my previous posts. It is a 15 minute, almost zero oil, tea time snack. There are so many variations possible in this one dish that we can keep experimenting on and on with different combinations. I got the hint of this recipe from my sister-in-law . I did some modifications and tried this recently. Coincidently the ingredients (Moong Dal and Black Pepper) of Magic Mingle this time were exactly what I planned to use!
You need to have an “Appo Stand” for this. If you stay in south of India then there is no need for me to introduce this to you. If you are in other parts even then it is readily available in most utensils shops these days. Check the end of post to know the appliance details.
- 1 medium size Boiled mashed Potato
- 7-8 crushed Black Pepper OR 1/4 spoon Black Pepper powder
- 1 finely chopped small Onion
- 1/2 spoon Dry Mango powder
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 bowl Moong Dal (split green gram)
- 1/2 bowl water to soak the dal
- 10-12 crushed coriander seeds
- a pinch Asafoetida (Hing)
- Soak the dal in water for 15 minutes
- Grind in a mixer to form a thick paste
- Add salt, coriandr seeds and Hing
Mix all the filling ingredients.
- Grease the stand, heat it on low flame.(I have a non-stick appo maker so there no need for much ghee or oil, I just add 1 drop of ghee in every section for greasing.)
- Add batter to all the section and fill them half.
- Make small circular balls of the potato filling and add one to each section.
- Add some batter again, to cover the filling.
- Cover the stand with lid for 3-4 minutes. Use knife to slightly turn the appo to check if they are done. Once they turn golden brown from bottom, turn the appo to the other side.
- Again cover the lid for 3-4 minutes.
- Once done from both the sides, increase the flame and turn each ball again for a couple of minutes so that they get crispy at high flame.
(the quantities specified in the recipe should be good to prepare 8-10 appo)
This recipe goes to Magic Mingle #7
Appliance Used: Mine is a non stick Elite”appo maker. “This can make 7 Appo in one go. This is a very compact one and is a must have in kitchen.Tweet