My weakness – Grilled Sandwiches. Somehow mornings are very busy and I don’t get enough time to experiment with them. This one has been going on in my mind since a long time. Like me, I am sure, all of you have had some variation of this in Cafe Coffee Day, Costa Coffee or some other coffee shop.
This sandwich, of course, is a very healthy one because of the ingredients. What I wanted to modify was the cheese part so used thick curd (yogurt) in place of cheese. It turned out great!
As per WHfoods, Spinach is among the World’s Healthiest vegetables. It comes out at the top of their ranking list for nutrient richness. Rich in vitamins and minerals, it is also concentrated in health-promoting phytonutrients such as carotenoids (beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin) and flavonoids to provide you with powerful antioxidant protection.
Corn features high quality phyto-nutrition profile comprising of dietary fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants in addition to moderate proportions of minerals. Yellow variety corn has significant levels of phenolic flavonoid pigment antioxidants such as ß-carotenes, and lutein, xanthins and cryptoxanthin pigments along with vitamin A. It also contains good levels of some of valuable B-complex group of vitamins (Source : Nutrition-and-you.com )
(will make 2 sandwiches – 4 slices of bread)
- 1/2 bowl frozen Sweet Corn
- 250 gm Spinach
- 1/2 bowl thick curd(yogurt)
- Salt (as per taste)
- Oregano Seasoning (I also used Garlic herb seasoning, you can experiment with the seasonings of your choice)
- 4 slices Brown Bread
- Wash spinach leaves thoroughly. Blanch them in boiling water for 1 minute. (refer the tip at end of post to know the healthiest way to cook spinach)
- Chop Spinach and let it cool.
- Add corn, curd, salt and seasoning to spinach.
- Mix the ingredients and spread filling on the bread slices. (do not keep the filling for long as the curd and salt may realeasing water and in turn lead to soogy sandwich)
- Grill in a sandwich maker and have it hot and cryspy!
Tip : Healthiest way to cook spinach as per WHfoods.com
Spinach is recommend to be boiled to free up acids. Allow them to leach into the boiling water; this brings out a sweeter taste from the spinach. Discard the boiling water after cooking; do not drink it or use it for stock because of its acid content.
Use a large pot with lots of water and bring to a rapid boil. Add spinach to the boiling water and boil for 1 minute. Begin timing as soon as you place the spinach in the pot. Do not cover the pot when cooking spinach. Leaving the pot uncovered helps to release more of the acids with the rising steam. Research has shown that the boiling of spinach in large amounts of water helps decrease the oxalic acid content by as much as 50%